In Case You Missed Monday
by Michael Goodman | March 22, 2011 4:44 am
Back to 12,000:
- Stocks rallied for a third straight day, regaining the 12,000 level for the first time since March 11, before the Japanese earthquake that induced a treacherous tsunami and nuclear power plant damage. Energy stocks moved higher as oil prices rose on assumptions that fuel demand in Asia may not retreat as expected under a worst-case-scenario to the resolution at the nuclear plant. Investors also bid small-cap stocks proportionately higher in a full-on embrace of risk. Bond prices fell, with the 10-year Treasury note’s yield kicking higher to 3.32%. Gold was up big, silver up even bigger.
- After the closing bell, shares of Bristol-Myers (NYSE:BMY) gained 4.8% after the company said that a Phase III study of its ipilimumab melanoma drug achieved its primary endpoint of improving overall survival. Canadian Pacific (NYSE:CP) shares fell 5.2% after the company said first-quarter earnings per share would be well below Wall Street estimates due to the impact of winter weather across the company’s entire rail supply chain. Hot Topic (NASDAQ:HOTT) rose 7.3% after the company announced Betsy McLaughlin resigned as CEO.
- On Tuesday, Walgreen (NYSE:WAG) will release quarterly earnings in the a.m., while data on new home sales for February is part of the economic data flow. ConocoPhillips (NYSE:COP) will hold its annual investor meeting.
OUT THERE SOMEWHERE:
- Video: 86-year-old guru says gold is the safest currency.
- Your handy nuclear power location map.
- As one might expect, food safety becomes an issue in Japan.
- Your handy Bahrain primer.
- Warren Buffett’s behind the times. Had you there for a second.
- Your next financial crisis.
- The future of nuclear energy.
- Early warning sign for market crashes.
- AT&T (NYSE:T) buys T-Mobile, and we all lose.
- What up with Mike Dell buying up huge amount of shares in his company?
- BMY: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=BMY
- CP: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=CP
- HOTT: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=HOTT
- WAG: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=WAG
- COP: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=COP
- gold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXG8eQkYVpg&feature=player_embedded
- map: http://geocommons.com/maps/57960
- food safety: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c19ed90e-5328-11e0-86e6-00144feab49a,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2Fc19ed90e-5328-11e0-86e6-00144feab49a.html&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nakedcapitalism.com%2F2011%2F03%2Flinks-32111.html
- Bahrain: http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/02/whats-happening-in-bahrain
- second: http://blogs.marketwatch.com/fundmastery/2011/03/18/buffetts-8-65-billion-goldman-sachs-deal/
- financial crisis: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703899704576204594093772576.html
- nuclear energy: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2011/03/28/110328taco_talk_kolbert
- warning sign: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/03/market-panic-signs/
- T: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=T
- we all lose: http://gigaom.com/2011/03/20/in-att-t-mobile-merger-everybody-loses/
- buying up: http://www.thereformedbroker.com/2011/03/20/michael-dells-very-big-stock-purchase/
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2011/03/in-case-you-missed-monday-5/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1fEr8vS
Copyright ©2016 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.