In Case You Missed Monday
by Michael Goodman | April 5, 2011 4:44 am
- Stocks sort of took a breather on Monday, with the S&P 500 and Nasdaq not even moving a point. Oil did get itself above $108 a barrel, which certainly bears closer watching, but the market also had risen almost 6% in about three weeks. A lack of news of either extreme, and the days after the end-of-quarter ”window dressing” also certainly had a hand in a sideways trade. Silver, however, pushed to another 31-or-so-year high. Bonds did post a modest gain, about the only sign that the three-week rally in stocks could even be anything close to ending.
- After the closing bell, some real news: Texas Instruments (NYSE:TXN) will buy National Semiconductor (NYSE:NSM) for $25 a share in an all-cash deal worth about $6.5 billion. The combined company is expected to have market share of about 17%-18%. NSM shot 75% higher in after-hours trading.
- On Tuesday, investors will get the ISM Non-Manufacturing Survey for March as well as the Fed minutes from its March 15 meeting.
OUT THERE SOMEWHERE:
- Transocean (NYSE:RIG) touts safety record without irony.
- Why tablet PCs may make us less rude.
- Some Japanese politicians dropping the standard civility.
- Retiring in the liquidity trap.
- Goldman gets a little more bearish on 2011.
- Got Chinese milk? You may want to throw it out.
- Peak Oil Watch: Here come the Nigerian elections.
- Investors still largely black-balling muni bonds.
- The pharmaceuticals market is broken.
- Richard Florida on the state population growth/productivity growth connection. (There isn’t one).
- TXN: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=TXN
- NSM: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=NSM
- RIG: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=RIG
- touts safety: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703806304576236661289767034.html?mod=djemalertNEWS
- tablet PCs: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4fc581f0-5ca8-11e0-ab7c-00144feab49a.html#axzz1IaCEe2pT
- dropping: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/04/governor-of-fukushima-and-mayor-of.html
- liquidity trap: http://economistsview.typepad.com/timduy/2011/04/retirement-in-the-liquidity-trap.html
- bearish on 2011: http://www.zerohedge.com/article/goldman-capitulates-again-downgrades-q1-gdp-25-sees-outlook-h2-messy
- Chinese milk: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/8424715/China-closes-half-the-nations-dairies.html
- Nigerian elections: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703806304576236762483979964.html
- black-balling muni bonds: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704587004576240741284333546.html
- pharmaceuticals market: http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2011/04/03/broken-market-of-the-day-pharmaceuticals/
- population growth/productivity growth: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/04/the-state-story-growth-without-growth/73367/
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2011/04/in-case-you-missed-monday-7/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1aLFcVR
Copyright ©2014 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.