Big Potential for IRA Investors in SouthernSun Fund

by Cynthia Wilson | July 13, 2011 3:58 am

The SouthernSun Small Cap Fund (MUTF: SSSFX[1]) is what the name implies, an IRA fund focused on small companies with market capitalizations that range between $300 million and $2 billion. Companies in the fund typically are listed in the Russell 2000 small cap stock index. It may be a good aggressive growth play for investors who can withstand market volatility.

Here are the specifics for the SouthernSun Small Cap Fund for today’s mutual fund spotlight:

Investing Strategy: The fund prefers to invest in companies that have a strong market niche and organic revenue growth potential. It also prefers companies with discretionary cash reserves, and excess working capital. Currently, 85% of the fund’s assets are in stocks. The remaining 15% is in cash.

Expense Ratio: With a 1.51% expense ratio, the fund is moderately priced compared with other fund in the category and has a Morningstar Rating of four stars.

Top 5 Holdings: The top stocks in the Select Transportation Portfolio Fund include cooking oil and bakery waste solutions provider Darling International, Inc. (NYSE: DAR[2]) at 5.16%, multi-industry transportation services provider Trinity Industries, Inc. (NYSE: TRN) at 4.62%, global biocides and chemicals provider Arch Chemicals, Inc. (NYSE: ARJ[3]) 4.52%, energy and energy services provider OGE Energy Corp (NYSE: OGE[4]) 4.51%, and engineering, construction and technical services provider URS Corporation (NYSE: URS[5]) at 4.44%.

Returns: The SouthernSun Small Cap Fund’s 12-month return of 63.11% is superb, outperforming the S&P 500’s 24% return and the Russell 2000’s 17% return over the same period. Its 5-year return of 128.7% also easily beat the Russell 2000 index’s 17.26% return, the 14% return of the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P’s 6% return during the same period.

 

Other Fund Statistics

Endnotes:
  1. SSSFX: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=SSSFX
  2. DAR: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=DAR
  3. ARJ: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=ARJ
  4. OGE: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=OGE
  5. URS: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=URS

Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2011/07/southernsun-small-cap-mutual-fund-ira-fund/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1fIaEmr