5 Highest-Maintenance Dog Breeds
by Angela Nazworth | April 4, 2012 11:31 am
Dogs. They’re jam-packed with all the attributes that make up a true BFF: fun, social, loyal … forgiving. But according to a recent list compiled by vetSTREET, some breeds resemble that buddy of yours who keeps you on your toes. You know … the one who eats your food, leaves dirty dishes in your sink and calls you at 3 a.m. at least twice a week.
Here’s a brief look at five of vetSTREET’s 10 dog breeds that require extra attention.
- Yorkshire Terrier: With its luxurious coat, the delightfully spunky and purse-friendly Yorkie is the epitome of a diva or divo dog. Even a Yorkie with a short clip requires frequent brushing, bathing and routine trips to a professional groomer.
- Labrador Retriever: Arguably the most popular dog breed in America (even before Marley), labs are well-known for their boundless energy. That high-octane characteristic is precisely what landed this lovable K-9 in high-maintenance list. That, and the fact that Labs are prone to hip dysplasia.
- Poodle: Perhaps the most glamorous of all dogs, the Poodle’s — standard, toy, miniature or teacup — curly mane requires a lot of care. Also, that rumor about Poodles being hypoallergenic? Not true.
- Jack Russell Terrier: Jack Russells often are recognized for being smart. They’re also incredibly high-strung. If not kept busy, these adorable pups will release their energy in destructive ways. Jack Russells are also prone to neuromuscular disorders.
- German Shorthaired Pointer: This strong, energetic hunting dog requires daily doses of aerobic activity. If you’re a long-distance runner or extreme hiker, the German Shorthaired Pointer might be your perfect companion dog.
You can read the full list — complete with adorable pictures — at vetSTREET.com. Do you think that these breeds are given a bad rap? Are there breeds that should have made the list? Let us know.
- list compiled by vetSTREET: http://www.vetstreet.com/the-10-most-high-maintenance-dog-breeds
- Marley: http://www.amazon.com/Marley-Me-Life-Worlds-Worst/dp/0060817097/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333550672&sr=1-1
- hip dysplasia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_dysplasia_%28canine%29
- neuromuscular disorders: http://www.ehow.com/about_5380228_neuromuscular-disorders-dogs.html
- vetSTREET.com: http://www.vetstreet.com/the-10-most-high-maintenance-dog-breeds
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2012/04/5-high-maintenance-furry-friends/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1ftowB1
Copyright ©2015 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.