3 Things to Know About ‘The Avengers’ Smash Opening
by Angela Nazworth | May 7, 2012 4:15 pm
Audiences assembled in massive numbers this past weekend to watch The Avengers.
The action movie that united five superheroes and a couple of super spies also proved to be a redemption story for maker Walt Disney (NYSE:DIS) after the John Carter debacle.
The film grossed $200.3 million during opening weekend in the U.S. and Canada, according to Box Office Mojo. This amount shoots an arrow through the $152.5 million brought in during the opening weekend for Lions Gate Entertainment‘s (NYSE:LGF) The Hunger Games. It also makes the previous highest-grossing opening weekend of Warner Brothers Entertainment‘s (NYSE:TWX) Deathly Hollows – Part 2 ($169.2 million) appear dim in comparison.
Here are three fun facts to know about The Avengers‘ smashing success.
- Women Showed Up: Disney has proven that if a film stars five super-bodied actors, women will come. In droves. Women accounted for 40% of ticket sales, according to E! News.
- 3-D Helped: Nearly 52% of ticket sales came from higher-priced 3D viewings, The Christian Science Monitor said.
- High Budget Also Helped: The movie cost about $220 million to produce, according to The Star. That’s the biggest budget yet for a movie based on Marvel comics.
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/300.avengers5.mh_.050112.jpg
- DIS: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=DIS
- John Carter debacle: http://investorplace.com/2012/03/somebody-should-pay-for-disneys-john-carter-mess/
- $152.5 million brought in during the opening weekend: http://investorplace.com/2012/02/lions-gate-entertainment-lgf-the-hunger-games/
- LGF: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=LGF
- TWX: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=TWX
- E! News: http://www.eonline.com/news/five_reasons_avengers_was/314135?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories
- The Christian Science Monitor: http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/2012/0507/Women-and-3D-help-The-Avengers-set-box-office-record-trailer
- The Star: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1174184--avengers-smashes-box-office-record-and-wins-over-critics
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2012/05/3-things-to-know-about-the-avengers-smash-opening/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1fAcGVM
Copyright ©2017 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.