There are some things that fame and fortune can’t buy: true love, noble character and a product that doesn’t exist.
Spurred by either a lack of a needed product or a creativity surge, several celebrities have designed their own inventions. Wired recently compiled a list of 20 patents invented by celebrities. Here’s a quick look at 10.
- Christie Brinkley: The famous model invented an educational toy that encourages kids to build letters out of shapes.
- Marlon Brando:The Godfather star also was an amateur drummer who obtained design patents for his method of tuning conga drums.
- Michael Jackson: The King of Pop created various dance moves that wowed crowds, but none seemed quite as amazing as his 45-degree lean. Jackson had a patent for the real magic behind the trick: a special pair of shoes.
- Neil Young: The singer-songwriter is also a lover of model trains. He invented a wireless controller for his son’s train set.
- Gallagher: The gutsy comedian knows a thing or two about science. He invented an electronic slot machine.
- Paula Abdul: The perky songstress found dancing while singing cumbersome. So she invented a mic stand with a concave base.
- Yakov Smirnoff: The Russian comedian has a patent for a waterproof writing pad that can be used while showing.
- Jamie Lee Curtis: Actress Jamie Lee Curtis has successfully penned children’s books. She’s also invented a diaper with a built-in pocket for baby wipes.
- Zeppo Marx: The youngest Marx Brother also was the engineer who patented the Cardiac Pulse-Rate Monitor.
- Steve McQueen: The auto and motorcycle racer who also starred in Bullitt designed a bucket seat for race cars.
To find out who invented the Cheeky Derriere Relief and nine other interesting inventions, check out Wired’s complete list of 19 Patents Invented by Ingenious Celebrities (Plus One by Paula Abdul).