8 New Ways to Save on Groceries
by Angela Nazworth | June 18, 2012 4:24 pm
8 New Ways to Save on Groceries
Every consumer knows coupons can help lower grocery bills. But with both high unemployment rates and rising prices, many grocery shoppers need to learn some additional creative, money-saving strategies. Real Simple magazine has compiled 16 tips to help you save money at the checkout lane. Here’s a look at 8 of them.
- Canned vegetables and soup: Nonperishable goods can often be found super-cheap at dollar stores like Dollar Tree (NASDAQ:DLTR), Dollar General (NYSE:DG) and Family Dollar (NYSE:FDO).
- Bread and baked goods: You could save about $118 a year by visiting your grocery store near closing time to purchase items from its bakery.
- Milk: Pharmacy chains such as Walgreens (NYSE:WAG) and CVS (NYSE:CVS) tend to charge up to 20% less per gallon for milk.
- Fresh produce: Some items such as limes and avocados can be found cheaper at ethnic grocery stores. You also also save money by purchasing only fruits and veggies that are in season in your area.
- Yogurt: If you buy yogurt in large containers instead of individual packs, you could save around $111 a year.
- Dry mixes: As long as you check the expiration dates, you’re likely to find good deals on dry mixes at dollar and discount stores.
- Beer: SaveOnBrew.Com will help you find local deals on name-brand brews.
- Cheese: To spend less, you’ll need to value saving money more than you do saving time. It’s cheaper to buy cheese in a large block or ball than it is to buy bags of the pre-shredded variety.
Check out eight more ways to save money on groceries at Real Simple.
- unemployment rates: http://investorplace.com/2012/06/may-jobs-miss-forecast-unemployment-rises-to-8-2/
- Real Simple: http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/how-to-save-on-groceries-00100000077660/page8.html
- Canned vegetables and soup: http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/how-to-save-on-groceries-00100000077660/page7.html
- DLTR: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=DLTR
- DG: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=DG
- FDO: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=FDO
- Bread and baked goods: http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/how-to-save-on-groceries-00100000077660/page6.html
- Milk: http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/how-to-save-on-groceries-00100000077660/page2.html
- WAG: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=WAG
- CVS: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=CVS
- Fresh produce: http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/how-to-save-on-groceries-00100000077660/index.html
- Yogurt: http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/how-to-save-on-groceries-00100000077660/page9.html
- Dry mixes: http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/how-to-save-on-groceries-00100000077660/page10.html
- Beer: http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/how-to-save-on-groceries-00100000077660/page15.html
- SaveOnBrew.Com: http://www.saveonbrew.com
- Cheese: http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/how-to-save-on-groceries-00100000077660/page18.html
- eight more ways to save money on groceries at Real Simple.: http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/how-to-save-on-groceries-00100000077660/index.html
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2012/06/8-new-ways-to-save-on-groceries/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1nKiVuq
Copyright ©2014 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.