by Christopher Freeburn | September 5, 2012 1:50 pm
Finnish mobile phone maker Nokia (NYSE:NOK) continues to bet that smartphones using Microsoft‘s (NASDAQ:MSFT) Windows operating system will gain traction with the public.
The two companies hosted a joint event in New York today to debut the Lumia 920 and 820, which run the new Windows 8 system. No pricing or distribution plans were revealed for the new phones, the New York Times noted.
Investors were unimpressed with the new phones and Nokia’s shares tumbled more than 11% in Wednesday afternoon trading.
Nokia is facing heavy pressure from Samsung, which produces popular smartphones using Google‘s (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android operating system and as well as Windows, and Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), which is expected to unveil its next generation iPhone next week.
Samsung recently beat Nokia to the Windows 8 punch, debuting a smartphone last week that uses the new OS.
So here’s what you need to know about Nokia’s new flagship smartphones:
1. Qi wireless charging. The technology lets users place their phones on top of a Qi-capable dock and have them charge without connecting any wires.
2. PureView camera technology. The Lumia’s upgraded cameras automatically adapt exposure settings to compensate for poor lighting and camera shake.
3. City Lens. This feature allows users to access information on a restaurant of business simply by pointing the phone’s camera at a storefront. Reviews or other pertinent information will then be overlaid on the screen image.
4. Glove-friendly touchscreens. The Lumia 920 and 820 both come with Synpatics ClearPad Series 3 screens, which Nokia claims will register touch even with glove-covered hands.
5. Larger, brighter screen for the Lumia 920. Nokia has upped the resolution to 1,280 x 768 pixels, and increased the brightness, on the Lumia 920′s 4.5-inch screen.
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2012/09/5-features-of-nokias-new-windows-8-smartphones/
Short URL: http://investorplace.com/?p=226838
Copyright ©2013 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.