Toys “R” Us, which is owned by Vornado Realty Trust (NYSE:VNO), announced that its holiday layaway program will no longer include upfront service fees from now through October 31. A $5 service fee will be charged to customers who participate in the program beginning November 1.
The news of the waived fee comes on the heels of the announcement that Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) added various perks to its Christmas layaway program.
In addition to waiving the service fee, Toys R Us does not require a minimum purchase for customers participating in the program. Customers have until December 16 to pay for and pick up their orders.
In conjunction with the introduction of the new layaway guidelines, the company announced it is offering special savings this week for customers who want to get a head start on their holiday shopping.
Here’s a look at the offers available until September 8, 2012:
- BUY ONE, GET ONE 50% OFF ALL Winx ClubDolls and Play Sets
- BUY ONE, GET ONE 50% OFF ALL Lalaloopsy(excludes video games and video game accessories)
- BUY ONE, GET ONE 50% OFF ALL CrayolaArts and Crafts
- BUY ONE, GET ONE 50% OFF ALL NERF Blasters (excludes Clearance and Laser Tag)
- BUY ONE, GET ONE 50% OFF ALL Fisher-Price Geo Trax
- BUY ONE, GET ONE 50% OFF ALL Fast Lane toys
- BUY ONE, GET ONE 50% OFF ALL True Heroes toys
- BUY ONE, GET ONE 40% OFF ALL Skylanders Figures and Accessories
- SAVE $50 on Razor E 100 Electric Scooters
- SAVE $50 on Thomas Wooden Railway Grow with Me Playtable
- SAVE $50 on Thomas Wooden Railway Sets
A 20% down payment is required for layaway and 50% of the total price of the order must be paid within 45 days. In the event a customer cancels his or her order, there is a $10 charge, however, there are some state-specific exceptions regarding this fee, the company said in a press release.
For more information about the layaway program at Toys R Us, visit Toysrus.com/Layaway.