Smartphones are taking over. A new study by Strategy Analytics shows that more than 1 billion people are now using smartphones in their daily lives. That’s more than 1 in 7 of everyone on earth.
The trend began with the introduction of smartphones by Nokia (NYSE:NOK), reports Bloomberg. Things truly heated up with Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) and its iPhone, Research In Motion’s (NASDAQ:RIMM) BlackBerry and the phones based on Google’s (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android system such as Samsung’s Galaxy.
Some highlights of the study:
- The first smartphone was Nokia’s Oyj in 1996
- Samsung is the largest maker of smartphones, passing Nokia this year
- Users should double to 2 billion by 2015
- Currently, there are 11 smartphone operating systems
- Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) and other new entrants will make gains