Candy Corn Makes a Comeback
by Nate Wooley | October 25, 2012 11:48 am
It’s Halloween time again, and that means candy. Packaged candy, homemade candy and even some traditional favorites, like the orange, yellow and white candy corn.
Most candy corn is, of course, sold around Halloween. It’s been a holiday favorite for decades and doesn’t show any signs of fading away. If anything, it’s growing.
Candy corn dates from the 1880s. George Renninger created it, and later Goelitz Confectionary Co., which would become Jelly Belly, began producing it.
Manufacturers say the formula for the tri-color confection hasn’t changed since the candy’s creation. Called “mellocreme,” it’s a combination of sugar, corn syrup and water whipped with mazetta, a form of marshmallow.
Here are some things being done with candy corn:
- Zest Bistro & Lemon Tree Grocer in Downer’s Grove, Ill., is melting it in marshmallows as a filling for whoopee pies.
- JarBee Coffee is now offering a candy dorn arabica called Witches Brew.
- Nabisco (NASDAQ:MDLZ) offered candy corn Oreos
More on Halloween and candy:
- Halloween Spending Will Be Sweeter This Year
- Fewer Witches and Ghosts for Hershy this Halloween
- The Best-Selling Candy Brands of 2012
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/candy-corn-halloween-630.jpg
- even some traditional favorites: http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/food/15792135-423/candy-corn-is-back-and-trendier-than-ever.html
- MDLZ: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=MDLZ
- Halloween Spending Will Be Sweeter This Year: http://investorplace.com/2012/10/halloween-is-looking-good-this-year/
- Fewer Witches and Ghosts for Hershy this Halloween: http://investorplace.com/2012/10/fewer-witches-and-ghosts-for-hershey-this-halloween/
- The Best-Selling Candy Brands of 2012: http://investorplace.com/2012/09/the-best-selling-candy-brands-of-2012/
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2012/10/candy-corn-makes-a-comeback/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1fqnwgR
Copyright ©2016 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.