Monet Painting Sells for a Staggering Sum
by Nate Wooley | November 9, 2012 12:14 pm
It’s auction season again, and just like every year, something on the docket sells for a surprising price.
For example, Claude Monet’s Water Lilies sold at Christie’s for $43.8 million dollars on Wednesday. The 1905 painting was sold by the Hackley School and features lilies on a still pool.
Here’s a list of other items Christie’s sold on Wednesday:
- Kandinsky’s Study for Improvisation 8, $23 million
- Picasso’s Head of a Woman, $13 million
- Miro’s Painting (Woman, Newspaper, Dog), $13.7 million
In all, the auction brought in $205 million. That’s lower than the $209.2 million analysts predicted. That’s because 21 of the 69 items went unsold, and several others were purchased with a single bid.
More from those with wealth:
- Christmas Gifts for the 1%
- Who’s the Richest Person in Your State?
- Surprise! 2012’s Top-Earning Dead Celebrity Is NOT Michael Jackson
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Monet_Water_Lilies_1916.jpg
- $43.8 million dollars on Wednesday: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323894704578105882889840890.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
- Christmas Gifts for the 1%: http://investorplace.com/2012/10/christmas-gifts-for-the-1/
- Who’s the Richest Person in Your State?: http://investorplace.com/2012/10/whos-the-richest-person-in-your-state/
- Surprise! 2012’s Top-Earning Dead Celebrity Is NOT Michael Jackson: http://investorplace.com/2012/10/surprise-2012s-top-earning-dead-celebrity-is-not-michael-jackson/
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2012/11/monet-painting-sells-for-a-staggering-sum/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1nxA62q
Copyright ©2015 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.