by Christopher Freeburn | December 17, 2012 11:37 am
A Golden Corral restaurant in Casper, Wyo., voluntarily closed for 24 hours on Thursday afternoon after scores of diners reported becoming ill after eating there.
While the restaurant was closed, staff members cleaned the facilities and the local health department conducted an investigation, the New York Daily News noted.
The Wyoming Department of Health said it had received more than 200 reports of food-poisoning and flu-like illnesses in the Casper area, 167 of which came from people who had eaten at the restaurant.
A health official noted that the link to the restaurant was not yet conclusive, but the large number of patrons reporting ill-effects after eating there did suggest it as the source.
Norovirus, a food-borne virus that inflames the stomach and intestines, leading to cramps, vomiting and diarrhea, is considered the likeliest cause of the illness. State officials are conducting tests to confirm the source of the outbreak.
Health officials said the restaurant had cooperated with the investigation. The Golden Corral reopened on Friday evening, the Billings Gazette noted.
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2012/12/167-people-sickened-after-dining-at-golden-corral/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1fookmw
Copyright ©2014 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.