Congress made no progress on the day and markets ended in the red despite a last minute jump that came on news that the House will reconvene Sunday.
A poor Consumer Confidence Index report added to the gloomy day. The Dow ended down 0.14% at 13,096.31, while the Nasdaq also lost 0.14% to 2,985.91 and the S&P 500 dropped 0.12% to 1,418.09.
Marvell Technology (NASDAQ:MRVL) shares tumbled just over 3.5% after a jury ruled against the chip-maker in a $1.17 billion patent infringement case brought by Carnegie-Mellon University.
J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP) gave back all of Wednesday’s 4% gains, dropping almost 6% on no particular news.
Shares of gun-maker Smith & Wesson (NASDAQ:SWHC) recovered after recent losses. The company announced a plan to buy back $15 million in its own stock.The stock traded up almost 4% on the day.
Finally, Disney‘s (NYSE:DIS) Marvel Comics killed off Peter Parker (Spider-Man). The role of Spider-Man will be taken over by the character’s one-time enemy Otto Octavius — better known as Doctor Octopus.
- Deckers Outdoors (NASDAQ:DECK): Up 9.26% ($3.23) to $38.11
- Vivus (NASDAQ:VVUS): Up 3.88% (51 cents) to $13.67
- Herbalife (NYSE:HLF): Up 3.25% (89 cents) to $28.30
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU): Down 3.89% (10 cents) to $2.47
- Arch Coal (NYSE:ACI): Down 3.11% (23 cents) to $7.17
- Radioshack (NYSE:RSH): Down 3.08% (7 cents) to $2.20
Marc Bastow is an Assistant Editor at InvestorPlace.com. As of this writing, he did not hold a position in any of the aforementioned securities.