5 Big Travel Trends for 2013
by Nate Wooley | January 2, 2013 12:20 pm
Travelers can expect to pay more for fares and fees in 2013.
Air prices and other travel fees are going up in the new year, USA TODAY reports. That, combined with fewer air routes, means hitting the road (and skies) is going to cost more.
While the air travel industry was profitable overall last year, analysts expect air carriers to attempt to improve their bottom lines in 2013 with the use of fees and other not-so-hidden charges in 2013.
Here’s a breakdown of some big travel trends USA TODAY expects to see in 2013:
- More airline consolidation: The highly competitive airline industry will be seeing fewer and fewer carriers as more mergers and route-combining take away options.
- Lower gas prices: The price at the pump is expected to continue to be lower than in 2012.
- More fees: In addition to higher prices, travelers can expect to pay more to travel as airlines, car rental agencies and others will be adding fees to boost their income while leaving “prices” low.
- Higher prices: Other than short-term discounts, fliers should expect the price of air travel to increase across the board in 2013.
- Information: Expect greater disclosure of information about fees and prices when tickets are sold.
USA TODAY‘s full look at 2013 travel trends can be viewed here.
More stories about travel:
- United Airlines to Increase Club Fees in 2013
- Southwest Airlines to Add New Fees Next Year
- American Airlines Adds New Fee Twist
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/airplane_cabin_interior_empty_630_flickr.jpg
- USA TODAY reports: http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2013/01/01/2013-trend-report-what-to-expect-in-travel-this-year/1800977/
- USA TODAY‘s full look at 2013 travel trends can be viewed here.: http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2013/01/01/2013-trend-report-what-to-expect-in-travel-this-year/1800977/
- United Airlines to Increase Club Fees in 2013: http://investorplace.com/2012/12/united-airlines-to-increase-club-fees-in-2013/
- Southwest Airlines to Add New Fees Next Year: http://investorplace.com/2012/12/southwest-airlines-to-add-new-fees-next-year/
- American Airlines Adds New Fee Twist: http://investorplace.com/2012/12/american-airlines-adds-new-fee-twist/
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2013/01/5-big-travel-trends-for-2013/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1fwTc4o
Copyright ©2015 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.