5 Biggest Brand Blunders of 2012
by Nate Wooley | January 2, 2013 1:51 pm
We all hear when a firm succeeds in building the right expectations in the minds of the public. But what about when branding a product goes wrong?
Well, it can really hammer the public’s faith in a company and lead to months of wasted work and a lot of damage control.
With that in mind, a new list, published by Adweek, goes over the branding efforts that failed miserably in 2012. From accidental messages to just tone-deaf marketing, let’s take a look at the top five brand blunders for 2012:
- La Redoute: The french clothing firm featured an image in ads with four playing children with a nude man in the background.
- Belvedere: The vodka maker used an image for a Facebook ad that appeared as if a woman was being attacked. The president of the firm, Charles Gibb, had to apologize.
- KitchenAid: An employee tweeted about the President’s dead grandmother using the company twitter account instead of his own.
- Hitler Store: A store in India launched as “HITLER”, including a swastika, before public outcry made the firm change it.
- Popchips: An Indian ad featured star Ashton Kutcher in brownface using a bad indian accent.
The rest of the list is available here.
More stories about 2012:
- Amazon’s 10 Best-Selling Books of 2012
- Top Celebs Gone Good 2012
- Forbes: Best Actors for the Buck 2012
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/branding-11.jpg
- top five brand blunders for 2012: http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/20-biggest-brand-fails-2012-146136
- here: http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/20-biggest-brand-fails-2012-146136
- Amazon’s 10 Best-Selling Books of 2012: http://investorplace.com/2012/12/amazon-10-best-selling-books-of-2012/
- Top Celebs Gone Good 2012: http://investorplace.com/2012/12/top-celebs-gone-good-2012/
- Forbes: Best Actors for the Buck 2012: http://investorplace.com/2012/12/forbes-best-actors-for-the-buck-2012/
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2013/01/5-biggest-brand-blunders-of-2012/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1ftawHy
Copyright ©2014 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.