A Massachusetts jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) to pay $63 million to the family of 7-year-old girl who suffered a crippling reaction after consuming Children’s Motrin.
Samantha Reckis was given Motrin to treat an apparent fever in 2003. Unfortunately, she suffered an extreme reaction called toxic epidermal necrolysis, which left her legally blind and suffering permanent damage to her liver and lungs, The Boston Globe noted.
The girl’s reaction was to ibuprofen, a common painkiller found in Motrin and a number of other popular over-the-counter pain treatments.
Her parents sued, and a jury found that Johnson & Johnson didn’t provide adequate warnings about ibuprofen’s potential side effects. The award included $50 million to Samantha and $6.5 million to each of her parents.
In a statement, Johnson & Johnson insisted that Children’s Motrin was safe when used according to instructions and said it would review possible legal responses to the verdict.
JNJ rose fractionally in Thursday morning trading.