Ouya Game Console Preorders Start Today
by Nate Wooley | February 5, 2013 11:54 am
An all-new game console, OUYA, begins accepting preorders today.
The system — which was originally funded by a Kickstarter campaign — has several retailers accepting preorders today, The Wall Street Journal is reporting. Among the retailers taking orders are Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN), GameStop (NYSE:GME), Target (NYSE:TGT) and Best Buy (NYSE:BBY).
The system will be in stores in June, and the initial pricing for the console is approximately $100. Controllers are also going on sale for $50. The system is a plug-in television-based system that runs games developed for Google‘s (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android operating system. Development of games is free to all and even system mods and new peripherals require no licensing.
OUYA used crowdfunder Kickstarter to raise more than $8.5 million for its start-up capital. The company has been taking preorders on its website and has more than 68,000 on order (including backers), according to CEO Julie Uhrman.
More stories about video games:
- Grand Theft Auto V Will Be Delayed, Will Be Released On …
- What Will Sony Unveil at Feb. 20 Press Event?
- China Might End Game Console Ban
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ouya.jpg
- The Wall Street Journal is reporting: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/02/05/ouya-finds-a-friend-with-amazon/
- AMZN: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=AMZN
- GME: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=GME
- TGT: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=TGT
- BBY: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=BBY
- GOOG: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=GOOG
- Grand Theft Auto V Will Be Delayed, Will Be Released On …: http://investorplace.com/2013/02/grand-theft-auto-v-delayed-will-be-released-on/
- What Will Sony Unveil at Feb. 20 Press Event?: http://investorplace.com/2013/02/what-will-sony-unveil-at-feb-20-press-event/
- China Might End Game Console Ban: http://investorplace.com/2013/01/china-might-end-game-console-ban/
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2013/02/ouya-game-console-preorders-start-today/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1nyL07Z
Copyright ©2016 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.