Using online fundraiser Kickstarter, producers of Veronica Mars have funded a movie version of the TV show.
The fundraising campaign — which raised more than $2.5 million is less than 10 hours — was started by creator Rob Thomas and show star Kristin Bell, reports New York Daily News.
Nearly 50,000 people pledged money to fund the movie production. The campaign quickly broke the record for the fastest project to garner more than $1 million in pledges.
The highest tier of support — $10,000 — was pledged by one contributor who will appear in the movie in a speaking role. Others will receive different incentives for smaller donations. Among those premiums were:
- A PDF copy of the shooting script ($10)
- A limited edition “Veronica Mars – The Movie” T-shirt ($25)
- Two tickets to the red carpet premiere in Los Angeles ($1,000)
- A private screening for up to 50 at a rented theater near the donor ($5,000)
After the success of the project, the pregnant Bell tweeted, “I love you guys. You are all SO spectacular. I am speechless. This excitement is prolly gonna send me into early labor.”
More stories about television:
- Hit Show ‘The Walking Dead’ May Visit IFC
- Snooki Sells ‘Jersey Shore’ Car on eBay
- 3 Die Filming Reality TV Show for Discovery Channel