A man is suing celebrity doctor Mehmet Oz, saying he was burned by a home insomnia remedy Oz suggested.
Frank Dietl — who is 76-years-old and the brother of Bo Dietl, the television personality — allegedly was burned when he placed warm rice in socks and microwaved them, then put them on his feet to help his insomnia, reports New York Daily News.
Dietl is now suing Comcast’s (NASDAQ:CMCSA) NBC Studios, Dr. Oz and Harpo Productions — owned by Oprah Winfrey — for burns incurred when he tried the remedy. Dietl suffers from neuropathy — numbness in his feet — and was burned when he left the socks on too long at too high a temperature.
While Dr. Oz did warn viewers in the April 17 show not to allow the socks to get too hot in the microwave, Dietl’s lawyer says that wasn’t sufficient warning. “He wound up with third-degree burns on his feet and was confined to his bed for weeks,” Dietl’s attorney, Dominick Gullo, says. “There were no proper instructions or proper warnings. There were no warnings to anybody with neuropathy to not try it
An attorney for Harpo Productions, which produces the show, said he would not comment on a pending case. He did say that “we stand by the content in our program as safe and educational for our viewers.”
More stories about lawsuits:
- Cablevision Suit Threatens Paid-TV Industry
- Beer Drinkers Sue Anheuser-Busch for Watered-Down Brew
- Don Johnson Wins $19 Million in Lawsuit