In an expansion of an existing relationship, Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) and Volkswagen (PINK:VLKAY) are teaming up to produce the iBeetle.
The new vehicle debuted at the Shanghai Auto Show and will be available in early 2014. Available in both coupe and convertible models, the iBeetle is designed to represent the look and feel of Apple’s products.
It also comes with a customized app to run the car and a customized docking station for the driver’s iPhone. The custom app will feature seven main features:
- Spotify: Streaming music which can also switch to iTunes on the fly.
- Expert: A system which allows the iPhone to control the car’s systems.
- Trainer: Compares driving times and efficiency of different routes.
- Reader: Monitors social media and other messages.
- Postcard: Sends the car’s location to friends for easy connections.
- Photo: Takes pictures of the inside of the car for posting to social media.
- Milestones: Rewards users when certain tasks are completed.
The iBeetle will be available in seven colors, including some that match the colors of iPhones. No price has been announced.
More stories about cars:
- Coming Soon: A Smart Car with Wings … For Real!
- Meet the 97-Month Car Loan
- The World’s Best Selling Car for 2012 Is …