Microsoft Warns of New Trojan Malware Targeting Facebook
by Nate Wooley | May 13, 2013 9:39 am
Software giant Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) is warning the computing world about a new malicious software that’s targeting Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) users.
The software — so far only seen in Brazil — disguises itself as a Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) Chrome or Firefox add-on, CNet reports.
In a security bulletin, Microsoft reports that the malware can access a user’s Facebook account. Once it does that, it can then perform most of Facebook’s actions, including liking groups and pages, sharing posts and even chatting with user’s friends. It even makes posts written in Portuguese under a user’s name.
It is, as yet, unknown how far the malware — called Trojan:JS/Febipos.A — has spread. Because it’s disguised as a browser add-on, it can automatically communicate with its makers to get updated and repurposed on the fly. While it’s only operating in Brazil right now, security experts say it would be very easy to modify it to work in other countries and languages.
More stories about malware:
- NBC.com Now Safe to Visit After Malware Attack
- McAfee: Fastest Malware Growth in 5 Years
- Apple Drops Macs ‘Virus Free’ Claims
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/computer_pile_no_630.jpg
- MSFT: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=MSFT
- FB: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=FB
- GOOG: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=GOOG
- CNet reports: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57584111-83/microsoft-warns-of-new-trojan-hijacking-facebook-accounts/
- security bulletin: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2013/05/10/browser-extension-hijacks-facebook-profiles.aspx
- NBC.com Now Safe to Visit After Malware Attack: http://investorplace.com/2013/02/nbc-com-now-safe-to-visit-after-malware-attack/
- McAfee: Fastest Malware Growth in 5 Years: http://investorplace.com/2012/09/mcafee-fastest-malware-growth-in-4-years/
- Apple Drops Macs ‘Virus Free’ Claims: http://investorplace.com/2012/06/apple-drops-mac-virus-free-claims/
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2013/05/microsoft-warns-of-new-trojan-malware-targeting-facebook/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1fsDw29
Copyright ©2014 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.