In an effort to replicate that home-cooked meal appeal, companies are adding imperfections to processed food.
“Home-cooked meals — or ones that at least look like they were homemade — are seen as more wholesome and authentic,” reports the Associated Press.
Here are some examples of efforts made by companies to obtain the home-cooked look.
- McDonald’s (MCD) Egg White Delight McMuffin has a more loose and less rounded egg on it.
- Kraft Foods (KRFT) developed a way to make lunch meat look more like it was hand-cut rather than machine-cut.
- Domino’s Pizza (DPZ) instructs its workers not to worry about making crust look perfect.
- Wendy’s (WEN) rounded the square corners of its hamburgers.
- Hillshire Brands (HSH) darkened the edges of its turkey with caramel coloring to give it a Thanksgiving appearance.