Tributes are pouring in from Hollywood for James Gandolfini, the New Jersey native who became famous for playing Tony Soprano on HBO’s long-running mobster show, The Sopranos.
Gandolfini died yesterday in Rome where he was attending a film festival and vacationing with his wife. A doctor at the Policlinic Umberto I hospital, where the actor was rushed after collapsing at his hotel, says he suffered cardiac arrest. Desperate attempts to revive him in the ambulance and emergency room were unsuccessful, the Associated Press notes.
Just 51-years-old, Gandolfini’s career spanned movies, TV and the stage. In addition to three Emmy Awards for , he won a Tony Award for best actor in the 2009 Broadway play, God of Carnage, and appeared in movies including True Romance, Crimson Tide, A Civil Action and Zero Dark Thirty.
Gandolfini’s colleagues and admirers were quick to express their dismay and condolences via Twitter:
- “The great James Gandolfini passed away today. Only 51. I can’t believe it.” — Bette Midler.
- “James Gandolfini. So talented, so nice and far too young to be taken away. You will be missed Sir.” — Actress Shannen Doherty.
- “James Gandolfini what a nice guy, so funny and sweet. He will be sorely missed. Our deepest condolences to his family.” — Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry.
- “Awful awful news. James Gandolfini will be missed. He was a great actor. Just great.” — Mia Farrow.
- “You will be missed greatly James Gandolfini Maybe best actor ever on a tv series. Salute’” — Comedian Artie Lange.
- “James Gandolfini. Unbelievably sad news. A fine man.” — Steve Carell.
- “An extraordinary actor. RIP, Mr. Gandolfini.” — Robin Williams.
- “R.I.P. James Gandolfini. Such a great actor. More than just tony soprano and that would have been a lot on its own.” — Musician Rob Thomas.
- “I am so deeply saddened by the untimely passing of sweet James Gandolfini! My heart is broken for his family!! I’m in shock worked with him in “Surviving Christmas”” — Actress Christina Applegate.
- “James Gandolfini was a kind, funny, wonderful guy. I’m so lucky to have worked with him. Sending love to his family. Such a sad, sad day. worked with him on “The Incredible Burt Wonderstone”” — Actress Olivia Wilde.