Some of the top executives out there can survive with only a $1 salary, but they still make a good amount of money through shares and other means.
Take Meg Whitman, for example. The Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) CEO makes just $1 in salary, but her total earnings were $15.4 million thanks to stock and option awards.
Of course, the seemingly benevolent act of accepting a paltry salary isn’t necessarily a ticket to easy street for all publicly traded companies. CNN Money has come up with a list of the top 9 executives who have a self-appointed $1 salary. Here’s a look at five of them, as well as their varying performances year-to-date:
- Meg Whitman, Hewlett-Packard (HPQ): HPQ +86%
- Sergey Brin, Google (GOOG): GOOG +27%
- James Truchard, National Instruments (NATI): +2%
- Larry Ellison, Oracle (ORCL): ORCL -1%
- Carl Icahn, Icahn Enterprises (IEP): IEP -8%
You can check out the rest of CNN Money’s nine top executives with $1 salaries here.