Gold moved sharply higher in Monday trading as investors saw evidence of rising demand for physical gold in China.
A report from the China Gold Association showed a 54% increase in Chinese gold purchases during the first half of this year, compared to the same period last year. Another report out of Asia indicated that the Chinese government has quietly launched a program to stimulate economic growth in certain cities and regions.
That combined with last week’s reports of higher Chinese imports and exports suggests that China’s already strong appetite for physical gold is likely to increase in coming months.
Gold futures for December delivery jumped 1.7% to $1,334.20 per ounce on Monday, according to CME Group. Gold traded as high as $1,343.70 and as low as $1,313.50. Gold bullion closed in London at $1,338, according to BullionVault.
Silver futures for December delivery surged 4.6% to $21.40 per ounce. Monday’s high for silver was $21.44, while the low was $20.60.
Gold and silver funds increased in Monday trading.
- The SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) rose 1.8%.
- The iShares Gold Trust (IAU) added 1.9%.
- The iShares Silver Trust (SLV) climbed 4.4%.
Gold and silver mining ETFs jumped during the day.
- The Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) surged 5.8%.
- The Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ) soared 8.7%.
- The Global X Silver Miners ETF (SIL) gained 6.3%.
Gold mining shares advanced on Monday.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM) added 6%.
- Barrick Gold (ABX) rose 4.5%.
- Eldorado Gold (EGO) climbed 7.7%.
- Goldcorp (GG) grew 5.7%.
- Kinross Gold (KGC) moved up 6.3%.
- Newmont Mining (NEM) gained 5.7%.
- NovaGold Resources (NG) increased 4.8%.
- Yamana Gold (AUY) jumped 7.3%.
Silver mining shares improved during the day.
- Coeur d’Alene Mines (CDE) climbed 6.4%.
- Hecla Mining (HL) added 5.8%.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS) rose 5.7%.
- Silver Wheaton (SLW) increased 5.2%.
- Silver Standard Resources (SSRI) soared 10.2%.
As of this writing, Christopher Freeburn did not hold a position in any of the aforementioned securities. Adrian Ash of BullionVault contributed to this report.