HP Has Chopped 22,700 Employees From Its Workforce
by Business Insider | September 10, 2013 10:37 am
HP is slicing jobs at a faster-than-expected rate.
The company has axed 27,700 people from its workforce, out of the the 29,000 it plans to cut, it said Monday in an SEC filing.
HP originally announced the layoff plan in May 2012, saying it would cut 27,000 (about 8% of its workforce) and then, in September, said it would cut 29,000.
HP also said the layoffs would happen very slowly, over about two years, ending at the close of its fiscal 2014 which is October, 2014.
Six months ago, in February, CEO Meg Whitman said HP had axed 15,000 employees, or was about half way done.
But HP has also been warning investors in its SEC documents that the cuts could vary by 15% as it tries to find $3 billion in savings from its workforce.
That money will be reinvested in research and development and other “innovation” activities at HP, a spokesperson told Business Insider.
Naturally, not all the jobs eliminated so far have been through layoffs. An unknown number of people opted to take early retirement and others have quit for other jobs.
- Salesforce Cuts 200 Jobs From Marketing Cloud Thanks To ExactTarget Acquisition
- Larry Ellison’s Sailing Team Was Slammed With Huge Penalties For Cheating
- How Infor CEO Charles Phillips Is Quietly Becoming The ‘Steve Jobs’ Of Business Software
- it said Monday in an SEC filing: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/47217/000104746913008916/a2216474z10-q.htm
- announced the layoff plan in May 2012: http://www.businessinsider.com/source-hp-layoffs-are-going-to-be-huge-2012-5?utm_source=investorplace&utm_medium=referral
- had axed 15,000 employees: http://www.businessinsider.com/hp-isnt-happy-when-some-people-quit-2013-2?utm_source=investorplace&utm_medium=referral
- have quit for other jobs: http://www.businessinsider.com/hp-isnt-happy-when-some-people-quit-2013-2?utm_source=investorplace&utm_medium=referral
- Salesforce Cuts 200 Jobs From Marketing Cloud Thanks To ExactTarget Acquisition: http://www.businessinsider.com/salesforce-fires-200-people-from-marketing-cloud-thanks-to-exacttarget-acquisition-2013-9?utm_source=investorplace&utm_medium=referral
- Larry Ellison’s Sailing Team Was Slammed With Huge Penalties For Cheating: http://www.businessinsider.com/oracle-sailing-team-penalized-2013-9?utm_source=investorplace&utm_medium=referral
- How Infor CEO Charles Phillips Is Quietly Becoming The ‘Steve Jobs’ Of Business Software: http://www.businessinsider.com/infors-charles-phillips-vs-steve-jobs-2013-9?utm_source=investorplace&utm_medium=referral
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2013/09/hp-has-chopped-22700-employees-from-its-workforce-since-last-year-hpq/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1froN7q
Copyright ©2015 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.