Forbes is out with its annual list of the most powerful people in the world. This year’s list includes a few shifts that may surprise readers.
The top spot has changed hands, with a former KGB operative now considered the most powerful man in the world after consolidating his domestic power and reinvigorating his country’s role as a player in international affairs by striking a deal to avert U.S. military action in Syria.
Last year, U.S. President Barack Obama topped the list, but slipped slightly in this year’s ranking.
Forbes’ full list includes 17 national leaders, 27 corporate executives and Pope Francis.
Here are the five most people people in the world, according to Forbes:
- Vladimir Putin, President of the Russian Federation
- Barack Obama, President of the United States
- Xi Jinping, President of the People’s Republic of China
- Pope Francis, head of the Roman Catholic Church
- Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany
For the full list of the world’s most powerful people, visit Forbes.