Samsung (SSNLF) released the world’s first smartphone with a curved screen on Wednesday.
Samsung has released it new smartphone, the Galaxy Round, as it competes with LG and Apple (AAPL) to create new innovations. The Galaxy Round doesn’t come with a load of features, but is instead meant to gauge if customers want smartphones with curved screens. Here are six things to know about the Galaxy Round:
- It has a 5.7-inch screen with a slight horizontal curve.
- It weighs less than the Galaxy Note 3.
- Users can tilt the phone to check missed calls and battery life, even when the screen is turned off.
- Users can scroll through media files by pressing the screen right or left.
- The phone cost about $1,000.
- The phone is currently only available in South Korea.
Samsung released its Galaxy Gear smartwatch last month, which has a flat screen. The company hopes that it can use curved screens to release more attractive and wearable devices in the future, reports Reuters.
LG announced earlier this week that it planned to release a smartphone with a curved OLED screen in 2014. Both Samsung and LG have already released curved TV’s that have OLED screens in them.