Sony Sells Over 1M PlayStation 4 Consoles in First 24 Hours
by Christopher Freeburn | November 18, 2013 10:15 am
It looks like Sony’s (SNE) next-generation gaming console is a hit.
On Sunday, the Japanese electronics giant announced that gamers had snapped up 1 million PlayStation 4 consoles within a day of their North American launch. The PlayStation 4 hit U.S. and Canadian store shelves on Nov. 15, and will become available in Latin American and Europe on Nov. 29, Reuters notes.
Sony has previously said that it expects to sell 5 million PlayStation 4 units — which are priced at $399 — worldwide by the end of March.
While North American gamers can buy the console in time for the holiday shopping season, consumers in Sony’s home market of Japan will have to wait until February for the PlayStation 4 to launch there.
The PlayStation 4 competes with Microsoft’s (MSFT) Xbox, which launches its own next-generation $499 Xbox One console on Nov. 22.
Shares of Sony climbed 2% in Monday morning trading.
More Gaming News:
- 10-Year-Old Facing Felony Charges Over Minecraft
- China Lifts Ban on Gaming Consoles
- Valve Crashes Microsoft’s Holiday Gaming Party
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/PlayStation-4.jpg
- SNE: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=SNE
- next-generation gaming console is a hit: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/17/us-sony-playstation-idUSBRE9AG0AM20131117
- expects to sell 5 million PlayStation 4 units: http://investorplace.com/2013/09/sony-sets-very-ambitious-playstation-4-sales-target/
- have to wait until February: http://investorplace.com/2013/09/playstation-4-wont-be-available-til-after-holidays-in-japan/#.UootfZG1Kf0
- MSFT: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=MSFT
- launches its own next-generation $499 Xbox One console: http://investorplace.com/2013/09/new-xbox-one-sale-in-the-u-s-just-in-time-for-the-holidays/
- 10-Year-Old Facing Felony Charges Over Minecraft: http://investorplace.com/2013/11/10-year-old-facing-felony-charges-minecraft/
- China Lifts Ban on Gaming Consoles: http://investorplace.com/2013/09/china-lifts-ban-on-video-game-consoles-nintendo-celebrates/#.UoouRJG1Kf0
- Valve Crashes Microsoft’s Holiday Gaming Party: http://investorplace.com/2013/10/valve-crashes-microsoft-holiday-video-game-party/
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2013/11/sony-sells-1m-playstation-4-consoles-first-24-hours/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1fqkPfx
Copyright ©2016 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.