Azodicarbonamide is a yellow to orange red crystalline powder that’s toxic and normally used to create foamed plastics. These include yoga mats, shoe soles, floor mats and window gaskets.
This chemical has been highly controversial recently due to the fact that the FDA allows food companies to use it as a flour-bleaching agent and dough conditioner. Subway recently vowed to remove azodicarbonamide from its products following a petition signed by over 68,000 people.
Check out what other food companies use this toxic chemical in their products.
- Sara Lee – Many of its bread and bagel products use azodicarbonamide.
- McDonald’s (MCD) – Most of its bread products use it.
- Wendy’s (WEN) – Many items on its menu contain the chemical.
- Arby’s – Almost all of its different breads use azodicarbonamide.
- Starbucks (SBUX) – Some of its bread products use it.
These are just a few of the companies that use the chemical on its products. Find more here.
MCD stock is up 0.9% and SBUX stock is up 2.7% Friday. WEN stock is up 2%.