Bitcoin News: Hackers Steal $2.7M Worth of Bitcoin
by Christopher Freeburn | February 14, 2014 11:33 am
In another bit of negative bitcoin news, millions of dollars worth of the digital currency was recently stolen from an online marketplace.
The Silk Road 2 website has confirmed that it was hacked. Cyberthieves exploited a vulnerability in its software, allowing them to steal $2.7 million in bitcoins from customer accounts. While all of its bitcoins were stolen, Silk Road 2 says that customer data was not compromised in the attack, the BBC notes.
Silk Road 2 is the successor to Silk Road, the online marketplace that was shut down by U.S. regulators last year over allegations that it facilitated money-laundering and narcotics trafficking. Silk Road 2 allows customers to make anonymous transactions, including bitcoin trades.
This is just the latest negative bitcoin news. Earlier this month, bitcoin values plunged after hackers launched a denial-of-service attacks on two prominent bitcoin exchanges, forcing them to temporarily halt bitcoin withdrawals.
The administrator of Silk Road 2 said the website should have taken steps to halt bitcoin withdrawals in the wake of the bitcoin news about problems at the other exchanges.
More Bitcoin News:
- Bitcoin News: Bitcoin Prices Plunge on Mt. Gox Glitch
- Will Gold or Bitcoins Perform Better in 2014
- Bitcoin News Sends WPCS Stock Up Over 75%
- recently stolen from an online marketplace: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26187725
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Bitcoins.jpg
- Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94480396@N03/9527545619/in/photolist-fvVanV-c7TeVY-e9SmUj-e9LG7B-e9LGa4-e9SmRY-gGPW7Z-gGHPHM-gGGQdP-gGQRbT-gGQT8b-gGPuRZ-gGGMyR-gGKKiy-gGKsRe-gGQCfz-gGHfXQ-gGKoCd-gGQPhA-gGQDZA-gGH99t-gGPa8F-gGQSLZ-gGKzwE-gGQnoQ-gGPF17-gGQPTn-gGLhKP-gGGKoY-gGQ2SN-gGQtjt-gGQF5G-gGQzK3-gGPnUw-gGHFex-gGRdyn-gGRmkp-gGQVp2-gGQLQD-gGKkDN-gGKCVU-gGQL7s-gGKQah-gGRhjt-gGQy8N-gGR1Rz-gGPGh3-gGKSvt-gGNZGf-gGQ8T2-gGQUSJ
- was shut down by U.S. regulators last year: http://investorplace.com/2013/10/silk-road-fbi-shuts-down-notorious-black-market-website/#.Uv5CtXlhOf0
- forcing them to temporarily halt bitcoin withdrawals: http://investorplace.com/2014/02/bitcoin-news-bitcoin-hit-denial-service-attacks/#.Uv5DI3lhOf0
- Bitcoin News: Bitcoin Prices Plunge on Mt. Gox Glitch: http://investorplace.com/2014/02/bitcoin-news-bitcoin-prices-mt-gox/#.Uv5DP3lhOf0
- Will Gold or Bitcoins Perform Better in 2014: http://investorplace.com/2014/01/will-gold-bitcoins-perform-better-2014/#.Uv5De3lhOf0
- Bitcoin News Sends WPCS Stock Up Over 75%: http://investorplace.com/2013/12/bitcoin-news-wpcs-stock-wpcs/#.Uv5DoHlhOf0
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2014/02/bitcoin-news-hackers-steal-2-7m-worth-bitcoin/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1gEVs8S
Copyright ©2016 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.