Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 1, Sickens 26 at NY Mall Restaurant

The building did not have a carbon monoxide detector

   

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 1, Sickens 26 at NY Mall Restaurant

Dozens of customers at a Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Shops mall on New York’s Long Island were evacuated on Sunday after police discovered a carbon monoxide leak in the building.

Authorities had been summoned by the report of a woman who had passed out in the restaurant’s basement. While attending to the woman, they first responders became dizzy and ordered the building evacuated, suspecting a carbon monoxide leak.

nuclear plant 630 200x200 Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 1, Sickens 26 at NY Mall Restaurant
New Radioactive Water Leak at Fukushima

Unfortunately, the restaurant’s manager, Steve Nelson, who was also found unconscious in the basement, could not be revived at a local hospital and was declared dead. A second restaurant worker remains hospitalized after inhaling fumes from the carbon monoxide leak. 26 other people received treatment for exposure to the carbon monoxide leak, but have been released.

Local officials say the carbon monoxide leak came from a water heater pipe. The restaurant, which did not have a carbon monoxide detector, remains closed.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that is fatal if inhaled in quantity. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include light-headedness, confusion and headaches.


Article printed from InvestorPlace Media, http://investorplace.com/2014/02/carbon-monoxide-leak-kills-1-sickens-26-ny-mall-restaurant/.

©2014 InvestorPlace Media, LLC

Comments are currently unavailable. Please check back soon.