Gold gained fractionally in light Thursday trading as investors awaited Friday’s release of U.S. hiring data for January.
The Labor Department’s December jobs report showed a sharp slowdown in U.S. employment growth. If last month’s jobs report shows similarly weak job numbers, it could influence the U.S. Federal Reserve to hold off on any additional tapering of its monthly stimulus. Conversely, stronger job growth could encourage the Fed to continue cutting back its stimulus. Fed officials have said that U.S. job growth is a key metric for determining how much tapering will occur.
Gold futures for April delivery rose 30 cents to $1,257.20 per ounce on Thursday, according to CME Group. Gold traded as high as $1,267.50 and as low as $1,252.50. Bullion closed in London at $1,259, according to BullionVault.
Silver futures for March delivery gained 0.6% to $19.93 per ounce. Thursday’s high for silver was $20.18, while the low was $19.83.
Metal funds were mixed on Thursday.
- The SPDR Gold Shares (GLD) slipped 0.1%.
- The iShares Gold Trust (IAU) dipped 0.1%.
- The iShares Silver Trust (SLV) gained 0.6%.
Mining ETFs were mostly higher during the day.
- The Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) slid 0.1%.
- The Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ) rose 1.3%.
- The Global X Silver Miners ETF (SIL) inched up 0.1%.
Gold stocks were mixed on Thursday.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM) added 0.2%.
- Barrick Gold (ABX) slipped 0.4%.
- Eldorado Gold (EGO) dipped 0.2%.
- Goldcorp (GG) inched up 0.1%.
- Kinross Gold (KGC) was flat.
- Newmont Mining (NEM) climbed 0.7%.
- NovaGold Resources (NG) fell 1%.
- Yamana Gold (AUY) dropped 1.7%.
Silver mining shares mostly gained during the day.
- Coeur d’Alene Mines (CDE) sank 0.5%.
- Hecla Mining (HL) fell 1.3%.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS) added 1.4%.
- Silver Wheaton (SLW) rose 1.1%.
- Silver Standard Resources (SSRI) climbed 3.2%.
As of this writing, Christopher Freeburn did not hold a position in any of the aforementioned securities. Adrian Ash of BullionVault contributed to this report.