The National Football League (NFL) could soon have its first openly-gay player.
University of Missouri All-American defensive lineman Michael Sam announced that he is “an openly, proud gay man” during an interview with ESPN on Sunday. Michael Sam will be eligible for the NFL draft in May.
Michael Sam says he wants to be an NFL player. His revelation could make the upcoming draft a landmark for the league, assuming Michael Sam is drafted by an NFL team.
Here are six things to know about Michael Sam:
- Michael Sam says came out to other teammates last year and he wanted to make a public statement ahead of any leaks.
- Last season, Michael Sam was credited with 19 tackles for a loss and 11.5 sacks, leading the SEC (Southeastern Conference).
- He was named the Associated Press’ SEC Defensive Player of the Year.
- Michael Sam is a native of Hitchcock, Texas.
- Analysts consider Michael Sam a potential mid-round NFL draft pick.
- ESPN Scouts Inc. has rated Michael Sam as the 12th-best outside pass rusher in the draft.