Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street so far on Friday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.4%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 0.1%, the Nasdaq declined 0.5% and the S&P 500 climbed 0.1%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is up 4.2% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is up 3.2% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 3.0% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 2.7% today.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is up 2.4% today.
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is up 2.6% today.
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is up 2.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Royal Gold (RGLD): RGLD stock is up 2.3% today.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is up 2.2% today.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is up 2.2% to a new 52-week high of $39.15.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Sherwin-Williams Company (SHW): SHW stock is down 1.5% today.
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is down 1.0% to a new 52-week low of $8.32.
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is down 0.8% today.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is down 0.6%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is down 0.9% today.
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF.B): GEF.B stock is down 0.4% today.
- Cvr Partners LP Common Units R (UAN): UAN stock is down 0.4% today.
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is down 0.3% to a new 52-week low of $24.60.
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is down 0.3% today.
- Sensient Technologies Corp (SXT): SXT stock is down 0.3% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.