Basic materials stocks fell broadly 0.4% on Wall Street so far on Thursday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.1%, the Nasdaq rose 0.7% and the S&P 500 fell 0.1%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Sigma-Aldrich Corp (SIAL): SIAL stock is up 2.9% to a new 52-week high of $96.50.
- Graphic Packaging Holding Company (GPK): GPK stock is up 2.4% today.
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (SMG): SMG stock is up 2.4% today.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is up 2.0% today.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Copper & Gold (FCX): FCX stock is up 1.6%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is up 1.6% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 1.1%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Clearwater Paper Corp (CLW): CLW stock is up 1.0%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Sasol Ltd (SSL): SSL stock is up 1.0% today.
- Matthews International Corp (MATW): MATW stock is up 0.6% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Newmarket Corp (NEU): NEU stock is down 7.4% today.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is down 2.8% to a new 52-week low of $10.00.
- Carpenter Technology Corp (CRS): CRS stock is down 2.2% today.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is down 2.1% today.
- Kaiser Aluminum Corp (KALU): KALU stock is down 1.9%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Reliance Steel & Aluminum Company (RS): RS stock is down 1.9% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 1.9% today.
- Nucor Corp (NUE): NUE stock is down 1.8% today.
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera S.A. (SQM): SQM stock is down 1.7%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 1.6% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.