Basic materials stocks finished up 0.7% on Wall Street today.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 0.3%, the Nasdaq rose 0.3% and the S&P 500 pushed 0.3% higher.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is up 4.0% today.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is up 3.6% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is up 2.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Watts Water Technologies (WTS): WTS stock is up 2.5% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (SMG): SMG stock is up 2.4%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is up 2.4%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is up 2.3% today.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is up 2.2%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- RBC Bearings Inc (ROLL): ROLL stock is up 2.2% today.
- Molycorp Inc (MCP): MCP stock is up 2.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 2.3% today.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is down 1.4% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Weyerhaeuser Company (WY): WY stock is down 1.1% today.
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V. (SIM): SIM stock is down 1.0% today.
- Om Group (OMG): OMG stock is down 0.6% today.
- Encore Wire Corp (WIRE): WIRE stock is down 0.5% today.
- Leucadia National Corp (LUK): LUK stock is down 0.4% today.
- Valspar Corp (VAL): VAL stock is down 0.3% today.
- Simpson Manufacturing Company (SSD): SSD stock is down 0.3% today.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is down 0.3% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.