- Spin Boost — Spin Boost allows players to run into each other while on anti-gravity parts of racetracks to obtain an extra boost.
- New Characters — Characters returning to the Mario Kart franchise in Mario Kart 8 include Metal Mario, Lakitu and Shy Guy. The game will also be the first time that all seven of Bowser’s Koopalings will be playable.
- New Items — Two new items were shown off during the Mario Kart 8 trailer. The first is the Piranha Plant, which can lunge at enemies, eat items and give players a speed boost. The second item is the Boomerang Flower, which allows players to throw a boomerang in front of or behind them up to three times. The boomerang can hit multiple enemies.
- New Courses — Mario Kart 8 will include 16 new courses and 16 remixed classic courses.
- Live Recorded Music — Several racetracks in the game will include music recorded by live performers. This is a first in the history of the Mario Kart series.
- Control Schemes — Mario kart 8 will allow players to use the Wii U GamePad, the Wii U Pro Controller, the Wii Wheel and the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to play the game. The game can also be played in off-screen mode on the Wii U GamePad.
Check out the Mario Kart 8 trailer below.