Trip Around the World Planned in Solar-Powered Airplane
by Karl Utermohlen | April 9, 2014 5:05 pm
A solar-powered airplane will fly around the world next year.
The Solar Impulse 2 runs solely on solar energy and it will fly around the world between April and July 2015. The solar-powered airplane will be operated by co-founders and pilots Betrand Piccard and Andre Borschber who announced it at a press event at Payerne Air Force Base in Switzerland.
The trip will be done in four- to six-day shifts, taking a total of about 20 days that will be spread out over these months. The solar-powered airplane weighs 2 tons and has 72 meter-long wings which are 15% wider than the Solar Impulse 1 wings.
The Solar Impulse 1 is another solar-powered airplane which flew across the United States last summer and across Europe to Morocco in 2012.
More Alternative Energy News
- FCEL: FuelCell Energy Stock Moves Up on $3M DoE Deal
- SCTY, BBY: Solar City Headed to a Best Buy Near You
- Geneva Auto Show 2014: Hyundai Reveals Fuel Cell SUV
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Solar-Impulse.jpg
- Wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Flea_Hop_HB-SIA_-_Solar_Impulse.jpg
- runs solely: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/solar-impulse-2-unveiled-for-flight-around-the-world/
- FCEL: FuelCell Energy Stock Moves Up on $3M DoE Deal: http://investorplace.com/2014/04/fcel-fuelcell-energy-stock-moves-3m-doe-deal/#.U0W02KiwXRE
- SCTY, BBY: Solar City Headed to a Best Buy Near You: http://investorplace.com/2014/03/scty-bby-solarcity-best-buy/#.U0W1QqiwXRE
- Geneva Auto Show 2014: Hyundai Reveals Fuel Cell SUV: http://investorplace.com/2014/03/geneva-auto-show-hyundai/#.U0W1MKiwXRE
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2014/04/solar-powered-airplane-around-the-world/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1g9rThX
Copyright ©2016 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.