— McDonald's (@McDonalds) May 19, 2014
The new mascot, simply named Happy, isn’t much more than a happy meal box with eyes, a mouth and limbs slapped on it. Happy looks like something McDonald’s would post as a joke on April 1.
This new mascot will start appearing at McDonald’s locations across the United States on May 23. The fast-food chain claims that Happy will work to promote healthy eating habits in children. Happy started out as a mascot in France in 2009 and later moved to other parts of Europe and Latin America.
- “What the fuck is that creature?”
- “That is not right with God.”
- “Might want to go back to the drawing board, I think I’m going to have nightmares.”
- “I didn’t want to sleep tonight anyways, it’s cool.”
- “Please tell me an unpaid intern designed this, because otherwise, there’s no excuse.”
- “Someone stuck a mouth on the box. How many years was this in development?”
MCD shares were down slightly as of Tuesday morning.