Basic materials stocks finished up 0.8% on Wall Street today.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 0.6%, the Nasdaq declined 0.3% and the S&P 500 pushed 0.6% higher.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Circor International (CIR): CIR stock is up 3.2% today.
- Globe Specialty Metals Inc (GSM): GSM stock is up 2.8% today.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is up 2.7% today.
- Crown Cork & Seal Company (CCK): CCK stock is up 2.5% to a new 52-week high of $48.30.
- Chemtura Corp (CHMT): CHMT stock is up 2.4% today.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is up 2.0%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Rockwood Holdings (ROC): ROC stock is up 1.9% today on 3 times normal volume.
- International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF): IFF stock is up 2.0% to a new 52-week high of $99.99.
- Lyondellbasell Industries Nv (LYB): LYB stock is up 1.9% to a new 52-week high of $95.81.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is up 1.8% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is down 3.0%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is down 2.4%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is down 2.2%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is down 1.8% today.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is down 1.7% to a new 52-week low of $4.01.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is down 1.7% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is down 1.6% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is down 1.8% today.
- Yamana Gold (AUY): AUY stock is down 1.2% to a new 52-week low of $7.29.
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is down 1.2%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.