Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street on Monday morning, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 1.0%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 0.7%, the Nasdaq rose 1.1% and the S&P 500 increased 0.7%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is up 4.6% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is up 4.1% today.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is up 3.3% today.
- Century Aluminum Company (CENX): CENX stock is up 4.3% today.
- Murphy USA Inc. Common Stock Wh (MUSA): MUSA stock is up 3.4% today and up 21.4% in the last month.
- Southern Peru Copper Corp (SCCO): SCCO stock is up 3.0% today.
- Alcoa Inc (AA): AA stock is up 3.1% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is up 2.7% today.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is up 2.7% today.
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is up 2.7% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is down 1.6% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is down 1.0% today.
- Leucadia National Corp (LUK): LUK stock is down 0.4% today.
- Wd-40 Company (WDFC): WDFC stock is down 0.2% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 0.3% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.