PEOPLExpress: 6 Things to Know About the New Low-Cost Airline
by Christopher Freeburn | May 30, 2014 11:27 am
Budget-conscious air travelers will have a new discount carrier — albeit one with a familiar name — starting this summer.
The new privately-held PEOPLExpress borrows its name from the 1980’s discount carrier that merged with Continental Airlines in 1987. The company will start business as “Vision Airlines, doing business as PEOPLExpress” while the Federal Aviation Administration conducts its final approval process, CNBC notes.
The owners of the new PEOPLExpress point out that there is no connection between the new airline and its 1980’s namesake, though some of its employees did work for the original PEOPLExpress.
Here are six things to know about the new PEOPLExpress:
- It will start with a fleet of three leased 150-seat Boeing 737-400s.
- Employees will wear PEOPLExpress uniforms that show an updated version of the airline’s 1980s logo.
- PEOPLExpress will launch service on June 30.
- It will initial offer one round trip flight daily from its Newport News/Williamsburg, Va. hub to both Boston and Pittsburgh as well as two daily round-trip flights to Newark, N.J.
- PEOPLExpress will add new routes over the summer and expects to serve 24 cities with “underserved routes” within 5 years.
- Initially, PEOPLExpress will charge fares of about $76 each way. Checked luggage, overhead bags and other add-ons will cost travelers more.
More Airline News:
- DAL: Delta Increases Dividend, Approves $2B Buyback
- United Airlines Cracking Down on Carry-On Luggage
- The New American Airlines: 3 Pros, 3 Cons for AAL Stock
- starting this summer: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101715653
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/airplane_cabin_interior_empty_185_flickr.jpg
- Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelevy/
- DAL: Delta Increases Dividend, Approves $2B Buyback: http://investorplace.com/2014/05/dal-delta-increases-dividend-approves-2b-buyback/
- United Airlines Cracking Down on Carry-On Luggage: http://investorplace.com/2014/03/united-airlines-cracking-carry-luggage/
- The New American Airlines: 3 Pros, 3 Cons for AAL Stock: http://investorplace.com/2014/04/aal-stock-pros-cons/#.U16K_l5hOf0
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2014/05/peoplexpress-6-things-know-new-low-cost-airline/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1kcMRyD
Copyright ©2017 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.