Basic materials stocks advanced broadly on Wall Street so far on Wednesday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 1.1%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 0.1%, the Nasdaq stayed level and the S&P 500 pushed 0.1% higher.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is up 5.3% to a new 52-week high of $126.97.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is up 2.5% today.
- Yamana Gold (AUY): AUY stock is up 2.6% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is up 1.9%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Ball Corp (BLL): BLL stock is up 1.9% to a new 52-week high of $62.55.
- AK Steel Holding Corp (AKS): AKS stock is up 1.6% today.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is up 1.4% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 1.7% today and up 39.8% in the last month.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is up 1.6% today and up 24.1% in the last month.
- Aurico Gold Inc (AUQ): AUQ stock is up 1.7% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Arcelormittal (MT): MT stock is down 1.6% today.
- Syngenta Ag (SYT): SYT stock is down 1.3% today.
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is down 1.0% today.
- Precision Castparts Corp (PCP): PCP stock is down 1.0%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is down 0.9% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 0.8%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Circor International (CIR): CIR stock is down 0.6%, marking the fifth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Southern Peru Copper Corp (SCCO): SCCO stock is down 0.5% today.
- Crown Cork & Seal Company (CCK): CCK stock is down 0.3% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.