GME: Why GameStop Stock Is Moving Today
by Christopher Freeburn | June 17, 2014 11:21 am
A positive report on surging video game sales last month sent gaming retailer GameStop (GME) stock up more than 3% in Tuesday morning trading.
Industry research firm The NPD Group says that spending on video games soared 52% year-over-year in May, hitting $586 million. The spending surge was bolstered by the release of new gaming titles and new consoles from Microsoft (MSFT) and Sony (SNE), VentureBeat notes.
Last month, gamers spent $187 million on new video game consoles. That’s almost twice the $96 million they spent in the same period in 2013. Microsoft and Sony launched their next-generation Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles in November.
Spending on video game titles climbed 57% to $175 million, driven by new game launches including Watch Dogs, Mario Kart 8, Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Kirby: Triple Deluxe, according to NPD.
GME stock closed at $37.72 on Monday.
More Gaming News:
- Amaya Gaming Makes $4.9B Bet on PokerStars
- GME: GameStop Announces Major PC Gaming Changes
- GOOG: YouTube to Buy Video Gaming Site Twitch in Huge $1B Deal
- Gaming News: Dying Light Delayed Until 2015
- King, Tencent Deal Will Bring Candy Crush to China
- surging video game sales last month: http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/16/may-2014-npd-ps4-xbox-one-watch-dogs-and-mario-kart-8-fuel-industry-wide-surge/
- GME: /stock-quotes/GME-stock-quote/
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/GameStop.jpg
- Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moe/2574430333/
- MSFT: /stock-quotes/MSFT-stock-quote/
- SNE: /stock-quotes/SNE-stock-quote/
- Amaya Gaming Makes $4.9B Bet on PokerStars: http://investorplace.com/2014/06/amaya-gaming-pokerstars/
- GME: GameStop Announces Major PC Gaming Changes: http://investorplace.com/2014/05/gme-gamestop-pc-gaming/
- GOOG: YouTube to Buy Video Gaming Site Twitch in Huge $1B Deal: http://investorplace.com/2014/05/goog-youtube-video-gaming-site-twitch-1b-deal/
- Gaming News: Dying Light Delayed Until 2015: http://investorplace.com/2014/05/gaming-news-dying-light-delayed-2015/
- King, Tencent Deal Will Bring Candy Crush to China: http://investorplace.com/2014/04/king-tencent-deal-will-bring-candy-crush-china/
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/2014/06/gme-gamestop-stock-moving-today/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1ni4sEa
Copyright ©2014 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.