Basic materials stocks rose 0.7% on Wall Street so far on Wednesday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 0.1%, the Nasdaq remained flat and the S&P 500 pushed 0.1% higher.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Air Products and Chemicals (APD): APD stock is up 6.6% to a new 52-week high of $129.65.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is up 2.5% today.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is up 2.3%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Iamgold Corp (IAG): IAG stock is up 2.1% today and up 21.0% in the last month.
- Intrepid Potash Inc (IPI): IPI stock is up 2.8%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is up 2.0% today.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (AEM): AEM stock is up 1.8%, marking the seventh consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is up 1.7% today.
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is up 2.1% today.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is up 1.3% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Domtar Corp (UFS): UFS stock is down 49.8% to a new 52-week low of $43.64.
- Actuant Corp (ATU): ATU stock is down 3.6% today.
- Rockwood Holdings (ROC): ROC stock is down 3.3% today.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is down 1.8%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 1.5% today.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is down 1.2% today.
- Simpson Manufacturing Company (SSD): SSD stock is down 0.9% today.
- A. Schulman (SHLM): SHLM stock is down 1.0% today.
- Alcoa Inc (AA): AA stock is down 0.8% today.
- Leucadia National Corp (LUK): LUK stock is down 0.7% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.