Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street so far on Monday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.2%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was steady, the Nasdaq fell 0.3% and the S&P 500 stayed consistent.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Century Aluminum Company (CENX): CENX stock is up 4.4% today.
- Meadwestvaco Corp (MWV): MWV stock is up 3.9% to a new 52-week high of $42.18.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is up 1.8% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is up 1.8% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 1.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is up 1.3% today.
- Watts Water Technologies (WTS): WTS stock is up 0.6%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Kronos Worldwide Inc (KRO): KRO stock is up 1.1% today.
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is up 0.9% today.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is up 0.8%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has increased.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF.B): GEF.B stock is down 2.1% today.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is down 1.4% today.
- Sensient Technologies Corp (SXT): SXT stock is down 1.4% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 1.6% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is down 1.3%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX): ABX stock is down 1.4% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 1.3% today.
- Raven Industries (RAVN): RAVN stock is down 1.3%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Minerals Technologies Inc (MTX): MTX stock is down 1.0% today.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is down 1.2% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.