Basic materials stocks finished up broadly on Wall Street on Tuesday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.1%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 0.4%, the Nasdaq pushed 0.6% higher and the S&P 500 was up 0.4%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is up 2.3% today.
- Simpson Manufacturing Company (SSD): SSD stock is up 2.1% today.
- Sasol Ltd (SSL): SSL stock is up 1.9% today.
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is up 1.9%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Westlake Chemical Corp (WLK): WLK stock is up 1.9% today.
- Kronos Worldwide Inc (KRO): KRO stock is up 1.9% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is up 1.9% today.
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is up 1.8% today.
- Matthews International Corp (MATW): MATW stock is up 1.8%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Murphy USA Inc. Common Stock Wh (MUSA): MUSA stock is up 1.7% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Glatfelter (GLT): GLT stock is down 1.9% today.
- First Majestic Silver (AG): AG stock is down 1.7%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Meadwestvaco Corp (MWV): MWV stock is down 1.4% today.
- Ternium S.A. (TX): TX stock is down 1.3% today.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is down 1.3% today.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is down 1.3%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Sealed Air Corp (SEE): SEE stock is down 1.3% today.
- Bemis Company (BMS): BMS stock is down 1.2% today.
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF): GEF stock is down 1.0% today.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is down 1.0% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.