Basic materials stocks advanced broadly on Wall Street so far on Wednesday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.5%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average pushed 0.4% higher, the Nasdaq rose 0.6% and the S&P 500 increased 0.4%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is up 15.5% today and up 20.2% in the last month.
- Sealed Air Corp (SEE): SEE stock is up 4.7% today.
- AK Steel Holding Corp (AKS): AKS stock is up 3.8% today.
- Huntsman Corp (HUN): HUN stock is up 3.8% today.
- Newmarket Corp (NEU): NEU stock is up 2.2% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is up 1.8% today.
- Packaging Corporation of America (PKG): PKG stock is up 1.7% today.
- Arcelormittal (MT): MT stock is up 1.8% today.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is up 1.6% today and up 21.1% in the last month.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is up 1.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Chemtura Corp (CHMT): CHMT stock is down 6.0% today.
- Domtar Corp (UFS): UFS stock is down 3.1% today.
- Ternium S.A. (TX): TX stock is down 2.7% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is down 2.6% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 2.2% today.
- Aurico Gold Inc (AUQ): AUQ stock is down 1.9% today.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is down 1.9% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is down 1.9% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is down 1.9% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is down 1.8% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.